42 Uses for Coconut Oil
Coconut Oil. It’s like heaven in a jar. I use coconut oil for everything, not only for it’s healing properties, moisturizing abilities and healthy fats, but you have got to love that smell. I thought it would be fun to make a list of all of the uses for coconut oil.
Some you may have already known about, but some may just surprise you.
Coconut Oil on the Body
A study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Science showed that coconut oil is able to penetrate the hair shaft because of its fatty acid structure. Another study in the Journal of International Dermatology found that coconut oil improves the skin barrier function. Coconut oil is antibacterial and antimicrobial, making it perfect for health and beauty.
- Fades age spots
- Heals skin and reduces irritation after shaving
- Supports cell regeneration to help regrow balding hair
- Reduces swelling and redness from bruises
- Stops itching from bug bits
- Softens chapped lips
- Eliminates cradle cap
- Controls dandruff
- Can be used as a deodorant (especially with some baking soda mixed in)
- Natural bum cream
- Mix with sea salt or sugar to exfoliate
- Reduces under-eye wrinkles, puffiness and redness
- Amazing leave-in conditioner
- Protects and speeds healing of cuts and scrapes (as well as canker sores)
- Removes makeup
- Great alternative to lotion for moisturizing
- Soothing for nursing mothers and safe for baby
- Cuts down on stretch marks
- Sunburn relief
- When mixed with garlic oil, it can repair swimmer’s ear
Coconut Oil in the Body
I know what you’re thinking. Oil means fat. Fat is bad. Not all fats and oils are created equally. Coconut oil contains a lot of medium chain triglycerides (MCTs), which are metabolized by the body differently than many other fats. In fact, the fat content of coconut oil can actually boost your energy.
- May increase milk supply of nursing mothers
- Aids in the absorption of calcium and magnesium leading to better bones and teeth
- Aids in digestion problems such as IBS
- Helps you absorb major nutrients more effectively
- Energy supplement: boosts energy and endurance
- Fitness supplement: stimulates your metabolism, thyroid function and energy levels
- Calms nausea
- Prevents nose bleeds
Be sure to also check out oil pulling.
Coconut oil can easily be consumed right out of the jar, but some people have an aversion to the taste and/or texture. There are supplements available if that’s the route you prefer to go.
Coconut Oil for the Pets
If you think coconut oil did wonders with your hair, skin, digestion, and overall wellness, you should see what it can do for your pussy cat and pooch.
- Aids in arthritis and joint inflammation
- Eliminates hairballs and coughing
- Speeds healing of hotspots
- Clears up skin conditions such as eczema, flea allergies, contact dermatitis, and itchy skin
- Controls diabetes in people and pets
- Reduces weight and increases energy
- Makes coats shiny
- Reduces “doggy breath“
Additional Uses for Coconut Oil
- Removes gum from hair
- Acts like Goo-B-Gone when mixed with baking soda
- Natural insect repellent
- Moisturizes and cleans leather and wood
- Polishes bronze
- Seasons cookware
Did I miss any? Comment below if you have more ideas.
Before you split, check out these articles
Latest posts by Jessica Lane (see all)
- Indian Chicken Curry - April 24, 2017
- There Are 100 Ways to Milk a Goat – Find the Right Way for You - April 12, 2017
- Homesteading with Children - April 8, 2017
- - April 4, 2017
- Mud & Crafting - April 4, 2017