Funk Fixer, an herbal goat treat made by yours truly, is a blend of very nutritive herbs in treat form. It’s perfect for ill, senior, failing to thrive, or recovering goats. Many people give it to rescue goats and goats under stress. We give it when we can’t quite figure out what’s up, but we know something isn’t right. That isn’t to say we give it as a band-aid. When something is wrong with your goat, it’s important to diagnose what the problem is. Funk fixer is just to help while you figure out what’s going on.
Signs of Illness
Not all goats behave the same, but the majority of goats are in a natural state of excited and energetic. This is especially true of kids. If my goats aren’t as peppy as they usually are, I start looking more closely at their appetite and behavior. Other signs of illness include…
- Moaning, crying, and bleating
- Excessive thirst or hunger
- Loss of appetite
- Change in eyelid color
- Changes in urination and/or bowel movements
- Mild bloating or biting at the stomach
In some cases you shouldn’t wait for more symptoms or assessment. Your goat should receive medical attention immediately. Symptoms that warrant an immediate trip to the veterinarian include isolation for extended periods of time (prey animals will hide illness until they don’t feel like they will survive any longer), they lay down for the majority of the day, or they are extremely bloated.
Dealing with Goat Stress
Goats are easily stressed. Emotional stress includes being moved to a new herd, having herd members removed, or being moved to an unfamiliar area. Physical stress includes being transported, extreme weather (temperatures as well as precipitation), and bullying from other goats.
Good nutrition, like that from an herbal blend that focuses on body systems, organs, blood cleaning, and maintenance, can help a goat through these stressful events.
Using Funk Fixer
Funk Fixer can be crushed up and added to feed or given just like you would give any treat. I’ve discovered that my goats’ coats are shinier and softer thanks to the extra nourishment. If you’re interested in other herbal blends we use to supplement our herd holistically, be sure to check out…
- Milk Money for Lactation Support
- Squirmy Wormy for Natural Worming
- Mineral Mojo for Natural Selenium & Copper Support
Before you split, check out these articles
Latest posts by Jessica Lane (see all)
- Homegrown & Handmade: Are you a homesteader? - August 7, 2017
- Mixed Berry Jam with Raspberries, Strawberries, and Blueberries - July 16, 2017
- Spring Berry Jam with Raspberries, Blueberries & Strawberries - July 16, 2017
- There’s No Reason to NOT be Growing Food - July 7, 2017
- Make Washing Soda with Baking Soda & Heat - July 4, 2017