Heads up! I link to products and services that I love from time to time. More often than not I have an affiliate relationship with these providers. What does that mean? I might make a small percentage from any purchases you make, but don't worry, you won't pay even a penny more. Thanks for supporting The 104 Homestead. You can see our full disclosure statement here.
Did you know that today is International Waffle Day? I love a good “food based” holiday. Any excuse to eat a food I love works for me. I am just head over heels in love with National Peanut Butter Day.
Anyways, International Waffle Day started as a kick off of spring in Sweden and due to international love of this breakfast food, it has become a worldwide celebratory day. But did you know that waffles aren’t only for breakfast?
I’ve got a great recipe for homemade waffles as well as some ideas on how you can serve them for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert.
How to Make the Perfect Waffles
This is the best waffle recipe ever. It goes together quickly and it’s a win every time.
- 2 c. All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 4 tsp. Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp. Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/2 c. Warm Milk
- 1/3 c. Melted Butter
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar; set aside. Pre-heat waffle iron to desired temperature.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the milk, butter and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture; beat until blended.
- Ladle the batter into a preheated waffle iron. Cook the waffles until golden and crisp. Serve immediately.
Using the above recipe, you can create these marvelous meals.
Waffles for Breakfast
A thin layer or Nutella with thinly sliced fresh fruit on top
or whipped cream and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Waffles for Lunch*
Make a grilled cheese by putting a layer of your favorite cheese between two waffles and maybe some tomato slices as well
or make a waffle Monty Cristo.
Waffles for Dinner*
Chop up some sausage for on top and layer with gravy
or make a pizza using your waffle as the crust – the best part is everyone can make their own with the toppings they want.
Waffles for Dessert
A big scoop of your favorite ice cream drizzled with caramel or chocolate syrup
or layer with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips for a delicious s’more.
* You may want to reduce the amount of sugar and/or increase the amount of salt for the lunch and dinner meals to make it a savory waffle. You can also play around with the amount of vanilla.
Need some more inspiration? My friend Angi over at Schneider Peeps is letting me share her recipe for whole wheat waffles that not only taste fabulous, but freeze well in case you need a late-night waffle fix.
So how do you enjoy eating your waffles? Comment below!
You May Also Like
Latest posts by Jessica Lane (see all)
- How to Make Vapor Rub with Essential Oils - March 7, 2018
- Bringing a Barn Cat (or two) to Your Homestead - February 7, 2018
- Creating a Silvopasture to Benefit Your Farm & Goats - January 18, 2018
- Garden Supplies You’ll Want This Season - December 27, 2017
- Instant Pot and Slow Cooker Meals for Dinner - December 23, 2017