It’s my anniversary! Wow, my homesteading and blogging journey started just a year ago today. Both the blog and my simple-living skills have come so far. It’s crazy to think that It All Started With a Piece of Paper.
So, how has the last year been for me? Let’s start with the anniversary of The 104 Homestead website…
The 104 Homestead Blog
In just one year, The 104 Homestead has touched the lives of nearly 200,000 people. That’s 200,000 people who decided that they wanted to make a change. That’s 200,000 people who realized that they can make these changes right where they live, without having to move to the ideal homestead. So what are these people’s favorite things to read when they visit?
They come to read about Using Sand in Their Chicken Coops.
Many are discovering why they might want to Consider Keeping Quail on their non-traditional homesteads.
Some of them have naughty birds and they come to learn about Wing Clipping.
A few are even considering living in Tiny Houses.
But the fun doesn’t end here on the blog! We have developed an amazing group of over 4,000 fan on Facebook. We have some of the greatest conversations over on our Facebook Page. The 104 Homestead is also pinning some great homesteading articles with our 2,400 fellow pinning friends. I’ll be honest, Twitter still confuses the heck out of me, but 675 of you have stood with me while I figured it all out.
You know the best part of this quickly growing audience? We teach each other! With a year’s experience under my belt, I am so excited to teach you all of the things that I’ve learned, but I still have a way to go. When any of us has a question, everyone is so kind to lend their experience to the conversation. It’s like a big homesteading family.
So be sure to join the currently 700 subscribers who have signed up for our newsletter so you never miss out on what we’re talking about for the week.
My Homesteading Anniversary
If you’ve read It All Starts With a Piece of Paper, you know that is exactly what started this journey for me. The ultimate “a-ha!” moment. Why I felt the need to sit down and start blogging about it, I may never know, but I am so happy I did.
I realized that I didn’t need to wait until I could afford several acres of land. I realized if I tried to do it all at once, I’d become overwhelmed with the challenge. So how did I do with my list?
- I still haven’t made my indoor herb garden and I’ll be honest that garlic in a can was sort of a flop.
- I have begun making a majority of the non-food items my family use to buy. From carpet cleaner to laundry detergent and dry shampoo for people to shampoo for pets. We’ve even reduced out spending with unpaper towels and amazing soap nuts. And don’t forget all of the DIY cleaners we use now. Heck, we don’t even by deodorant or toothpaste anymore.
- I did manage on making a sun map of our property and have mastered growing in small spaces.
- I certainly added to our flock with the addition of 10 more chickens and a few ducks for good measure. We get eggs from our backyard year-round and we are able to sell enough to turn a bit of a profit.
- There is no need to build that salad bar under the pine tree as the pine tree went bye-bye last week. I can’t wait to tell you about the awesome experience of them taking it down and gloat about the wonderful eco-friendly guys that did the work.
- I’ve managed to squeeze in fruits and herbs all over our 1/4 acre and we have more coming!
- As far as making syrup from our two maples, I haven’t started that goal yet. However, I recently learned you can tap more than just maples and I am hoping to have a friend stop by to tell you all about it. It sounds really cool.
You Can Do It Too!
So why am I devoting an entire post to gloating about our anniversary progress? Because I want you to know that you can do it too and I’ll be here for the whole experience, to help you in any way I can. I live on 1/4 acre on the outskirts of our town’s village. I have three busy children and I work full-time from home. If I can do it, what’s stopping you?
You May Also Like
Latest posts by Jessica Lane (see all)
- Decadent Triple Chocolate Brownie Recipe - January 17, 2020
- How to Make Vapor Rub with Essential Oils - March 7, 2018
- Bringing a Barn Cat (or two) to Your Homestead - February 7, 2018
- Creating a Silvopasture to Benefit Your Farm & Goats - January 18, 2018
- Garden Supplies You’ll Want This Season - December 27, 2017