Heads up! I link to products and services that I love from time to time. More often than not I have an affiliate relationship with these providers. What does that mean? I might make a small percentage from any purchases you make, but don't worry, you won't pay even a penny more. Thanks for supporting The 104 Homestead. You can see our full disclosure statement here.
Print this easy cheesy broccoli rice casserole recipe and add it to your binder of real food recipes. See the step-by-step instructions and serving options here.
- 3 cups fresh or thawed broccoli chopped
- 3 cups rice pre-cooked
- 2 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 3/4 c. flour
- 10 oz. shredded cheddar cheese I prefer white extra-sharp
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper optional
Pour chicken broth in a large saucepan and bring to a low boil. Whisk in flour and then slowly whisk in milk. Continue whisking until the mixture is smooth and thick (about 5 minutes). Set aside.
Saute onions in butter until soft. Reduce heat to low and toss in broccoli, rice, and about 2/3 of the cheese. Stir until the cheese is mostly melted.
Add your seasonings and then transfer into a 9×13″ baking dish. Smooth in the dish and then top with remaining cheese.
Bake at 350ºF (uncovered) for 1 hour.
Make as directed above, but freeze before baking. Allow the broccoli rice casserole to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then cook as directed.
It reheats nicely as well.
Latest posts by Jessica Lane (see all)
- How to Make Vapor Rub with Essential Oils - March 7, 2018
- Bringing a Barn Cat (or two) to Your Homestead - February 7, 2018
- Creating a Silvopasture to Benefit Your Farm & Goats - January 18, 2018
- Garden Supplies You’ll Want This Season - December 27, 2017
- Instant Pot and Slow Cooker Meals for Dinner - December 23, 2017