Homemade Hush Puppies
Print this homemade hush puppy recipe and add it to your binder of real food recipes. See the step-by-step instructions here.
- 3 Eggs
- 1-1/2 c. Cornmeal
- 1 c. Broccoli Stems - Grated (approx. 6" stem from 3 medium heads of broccoli)
- 1/2 c. Cheddar Cheese - Grated
- 1/4 c. Buttermilk
- 1/8 c. Onion - Chopped Fine or Grated
- 1/8 c. Parsley - Finely Chopped
- 3/4 tsp. Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Sugar
- 1/8 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Vegetable Oil (for frying)
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, baking powder, salt, sugar, baking soda, cayenne pepper and black pepper until combined.
- In a separate, medium bowl, whisk together eggs and buttermilk until evenly combined. Stir in broccoli stems, cheddar cheese, onion and parsley.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until evenly mixed.
- Heat 3" of vegetable oil over medium heat in a high-sided frying pan or saucepan until the oil reaches 325°F. Batter should sizzle gently on contact. If it pops or burns quickly, the oil is too hot.
- Spoon rounded tablespoons of batter into the oil. Don't crowd or they will stick. Fry until golden brown (2-3 minutes).
- Remove with a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper-towel lined plate.
Don’t forget to yum this recipe! Yum
Latest posts by Jessica Lane (see all)
- 5 Reasons You Need Backyard Ducks on Your Homestead - November 8, 2017
- How to Make Tomato Paste Easily in the Oven - September 15, 2017
- Your Guide to Reading and Understanding a Seed Packet - September 12, 2017
- Raspberry Cordial: Recipe Inspired by Anne of Green Gables - September 10, 2017
- Recipe: Goat Milk Shampoo Bars for Healthy Hair - September 1, 2017