Heads up! I link to products and services that I love from time to time. More often than not I have an affiliate relationship with these providers. What does that mean? I might make a small percentage from any purchases you make, but don't worry, you won't pay even a penny more. Thanks for supporting The 104 Homestead. You can see our full disclosure statement here.
Homemade Hush Puppies
Print this homemade hush puppy recipe and add it to your binder of real food recipes. See the step-by-step instructions here.
- 3 Eggs
- 1-1/2 c. Cornmeal
- 1 c. Broccoli Stems - Grated approx. 6" stem from 3 medium heads of broccoli
- 1/2 c. Cheddar Cheese - Grated
- 1/4 c. Buttermilk
- 1/8 c. Onion - Chopped Fine or Grated
- 1/8 c. Parsley - Finely Chopped
- 3/4 tsp. Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Sugar
- 1/8 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Vegetable Oil for frying
In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, baking powder, salt, sugar, baking soda, cayenne pepper and black pepper until combined.
In a separate, medium bowl, whisk together eggs and buttermilk until evenly combined. Stir in broccoli stems, cheddar cheese, onion and parsley.
Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until evenly mixed.
Heat 3" of vegetable oil over medium heat in a high-sided frying pan or saucepan until the oil reaches 325°F. Batter should sizzle gently on contact. If it pops or burns quickly, the oil is too hot.
Spoon rounded tablespoons of batter into the oil. Don't crowd or they will stick. Fry until golden brown (2-3 minutes).
Remove with a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper-towel lined plate.
Don’t forget to yum this recipe! Yum
Latest posts by Jessica Lane (see all)
- How to Make Vapor Rub with Essential Oils - March 7, 2018
- Bringing a Barn Cat (or two) to Your Homestead - February 7, 2018
- Creating a Silvopasture to Benefit Your Farm & Goats - January 18, 2018
- Garden Supplies You’ll Want This Season - December 27, 2017
- Instant Pot and Slow Cooker Meals for Dinner - December 23, 2017