Flavors of Autumn Stuffing Recipe
Print this stuffing recipe and add it to your binder of real food recipes. See the step-by-step instructions and how nicely it pairs with roast chicken here.
This recipe was written to be prepared with a chicken, but you can make it on its own or with another bird.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons sage
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 6 Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Apples
- 1 med. Onion
- 1/2 c. Dried Cranberries
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- Mix together the spices in the spice mix.
- Saute 1-2 onions in butter.
- Peel and cut up 2-3 sweet potatoes and place them in a pot of water. Bring the water to a boil, then drain.
- Add the onions, about half of the spice mix, and a tablespoon or so of butter to the sweet potatoes. Stir to combine, then stuff as much of it as will fit into the bird (if preparing with a bird). Spoon the rest of the stuffing into the pan, around the bird.
- Peel and cut up 3-4 more sweet potatoes, toss in melted butter, and add to the pan. Sprinkle about 1/2 cup dried cranberries over the sweet potatoes. Sprinkle the rest of the spice mix over everything.
- Put the chicken into a cold oven and turn it on to 425ºF for 25 minutes. (Or a preheated oven for 20 minutes.) Reduce heat to 375ºF and add 1-2 apples, cut up; there is no need to peel.
- Cook until bird reaches internal temperature of 175ºF or until heated and softened (if prepared outside of the bird).
Latest posts by Jessica Lane (see all)
- Indian Chicken Curry - April 24, 2017
- There Are 100 Ways to Milk a Goat – Find the Right Way for You - April 12, 2017
- Homesteading with Children - April 8, 2017
- - April 4, 2017
- Mud & Crafting - April 4, 2017