Heads up! I link to products and services that I love from time to time. More often than not I have an affiliate relationship with these providers. What does that mean? I might make a small percentage from any purchases you make, but don't worry, you won't pay even a penny more. Thanks for supporting The 104 Homestead. You can see our full disclosure statement here.
Mac & Cheese Recipe
Print this easy mac & cheese recipe and add it to your binder of real food recipes. See the step-by-step instructions here.
- 1 lb. Elbows Macaroni
- 2 c. Parmesan Cheese shredded
- 1 c. Mild Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1 c. Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1 c. Monterey Jack Cheese shredded
- 2 c. Half & Half
- 1/4 c. Italian Bread Crumbs
- 7 tbsp. Butter
- 4 tbsp. All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasonings
- 3/4 tsp. Garlic minced
- 3/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- In a medium saucepan melt 4 tablespoons of the butter over low heat. Add the flour and stir to combine making a roux. Cook (stirring frequently) for 3 minutes. Increase the heat to medium and whisk in the half and half a little at a time. Cook until thickened (about 4 to 5 minutes) stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and season with the salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and 1 cup of the grated Parmesan. Stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Cover and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. While your oven is preheating, fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the macaroni. Return to a boil, reduce the heat to a low boil and cook until macaroni is very al dente (slightly under cooked).
- Drain in a colander and return the macaroni to the pot. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter and the garlic and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Using the remaining butter, grease a 3-quart baking dish or casserole and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the remaining cheeses. Toss to combine.
- Place 1/3 of the macaroni in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with 1/3 of the mixed cheeses. Continue layering until all the cheese and macaroni is in the dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the macaroni and cheese is bubbly and hot and the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Feel free to experiment with cheese and pastas. I have had great luck with bow tie, penne and rotini pastas. I’ve also switched up the cheese as well. So long as your cheese ratios stay about the same, you will have good luck with this recipe.
Don’t forget to yum this recipe! Yum
Latest posts by Jessica Lane (see all)
- Help Livestock Deal with Summer Heat on the Homestead - March 25, 2020
- Litter Box Material for Angora Rabbits That Won’t Get Trapped in Fur - January 27, 2020
- Decadent Triple Chocolate Brownie Recipe - January 17, 2020
- How to Make Vapor Rub with Essential Oils - March 7, 2018
- Bringing a Barn Cat (or two) to Your Homestead - February 7, 2018