This masala is not what you might buy in a little packet in the supermarket labelled Garum Masala. You can buy a pre-made batch of real masala from your local Indian store or you can use this recipe below. It makes quite a lot, and each batch of curry only uses 2 Tablespoons, so it will last you quite a while.
Enjoy in this recipe: Traditional Fijian Indian Curry from Scratch
- 1 c. Coriander Seeds
- 1/4 c. Cumin Seeds
- 3 tsp. Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick (broken up)
- 2 tsp. Cloves
- 5 Green Cardamom Pods (whole)
- 2 tsp. Black Peppercorns
- 20 Curry Leaves (dried)
- 1 Star Anise
- 2 tsp. Turmeric Powder
- Lightly roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and fenugreek seeds in a frying pan on low heat. Set aside.
- Place all the ingredients in a spice grinder or a mortar and pestle and grind to a fine powder.
- Store in a sealed jar.
- For best flavor, use within a year.
Latest posts by Dana Thompson (see all)
- Cinnamon Sugar Sourdough Donut Holes Recipe - September 11, 2017
- A Good, Reliable Brownie Recipe - July 10, 2017
- Decadent Triple Chocolate Brownie Recipe (ready in 30 minutes!) - July 10, 2017
- - June 3, 2017
- Garlic Potato Soup with Leeks Recipe - June 3, 2017